• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Instagram
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

The Perfect Song and The Perfect Movie (From the Early '60s), All in One Day

Mr Postman, by the Marvelettes, 1961
I thought this was a Beatles song, but here is the original. The singing, the phrasing,
Way-yay-yay-yate Mr. Postman,
the enunciation, Dee-liver the let-ter, the sooner the bet-ter,
I'm just crazy about this song. It's on a 3-disc  collection: She's So Fine: The Rise of the Girl Groups, about 90 songs. The Chantelles, the Shirelles, the Bobettes, the Ikettes. I don't know of any singing like this nowadays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=425GpjTSlS4








François Truffaut's Jules et Jim, 1962
Then, last night I watched this, with 5 friends in a small cabin in the woods, and was stunned. Just an absolutely perfect movie, a masterpiece. It's wonderful when a work of art can lift you into another realm.
I think I saw it about 50 (ulp!) years ago, but it didn't hit me then. (The Surf Theater was a small theater out by the beach in San Francisco's Sunset District that played foreign films in the '60s. For us California kids, it provided a sophisticated and different view of art and the world: Goddard, Ingmar Bergman, Truffaut, Kurosawa…)

0 comments:

Post a Comment