• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Victoria & Albert Museum Exhibition - "You Say You Want A Revolution?" - opens Sept. 10, 2016 in London

I got interviewed via Skype (with which I'm not too comfortable, at least doing an intercontinental interview) by the BBC yesterday. A last-minute deal.

The Victoria and Albert Museum has an exhibit opening next week titled:
"You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels 1966-1970"
"How have the finished and unfinished revolutions of the late 1960s changed the way we live today and think about the future?"

They've been working on this a long time; they came to our house with a camera crew about a year ago; then a month or so ago, V&A personnel along with four British reporters interviewed Stewart Brand and me for several hours in San Francisco. What were the 60s like? What role do the Whole Earth Catalog have in the countercultural revolution? Etc.

 Here's the news program that ran in the UK last night: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046zwdy

 Here's info on the exhibit: https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/you-say-you-want-a-revolution-records-and-rebels-1966-70

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lloyd, always a joy/ often an inspiration to read your blog.

Thank you for passing this on.

Wish I could hear and see the entirety.


I have long enjoyed / devoured / consumed

reading/words/stories - fact and fiction - , both written and from folks who spoke their stories/experiences/knowledge.



The thoughts and feelings have always been, to me, a tangible connection between

first spoken experiences of ancient times, current thoughts and, future science and experience.



As a very young child (three or so), I relished my parents or others speaking of their early yrs, my grandparents early yrs,

and this enjoyment (hunger) continued. As a young adult, I was often popular with elderly who spoke of their lives, as they

appreciated the rapt attention. I never really found a way to make clear that I often felt like I had won the lottery to hear their

thoughts and experiences.



I truly felt it was (hearing them) an important part of a long and winding road from ancient spoken

experience, to what I at the time currently experienced, to what is to go on in the future. Future science, future creation, future fiction. From a very young age, it all seemed so

connected, to me. So much a connected part of past/present and future to come.



Well that is all very long and rambling,

but

watching the video clip...Steve Jobs, and you commenting...

well

it all seemed so much a part of what I have felt all these years.



"the world was changing, but it didn't quite go the way everybody thought it would"



..."and it influenced one Steve Jobs"



Steve Jobs " When I was young, there was an amazing publication, called the Whole Earth Catalogue. It was

sort of like Google.............................."



Llloyd Kahn "I thought, That's pretty great, that what we were doing back then, was picked up on by

this guy"..



Yes, I would agree. It is "pretty great".



People like you who find ways and means to pass on your thoughts and experiences

channel/fashion/create and foment the future. People like you, I believe are/will be the nourishment of those

who fashion the science and fiction and life to come. Steve Jobs was a creative, technological genius....but....



His "tools" (yikes, would he squelch me for calling his genius machines tools?...ah well)...made him unbelievably

wealthy (hey, not knocking that, wouldn't mind some myself)...But...they are just tools, all those fancy gadgets and

so forth...Take the batteries out...moderately useful paperweights...



You, channel/fashion/create and foment the future, reflect the past, and relish the present.

Lloyd Kahn said...

Anonymous,
Well, thanks! Great to hear all this. Really!

Anonymous said...

Lloyd, You're welcome......

Post a Comment