• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Close Encounters With Creatures Medium and Small on Warm Summer Night

I went on a slow 4-mile run on a coastal trail the other evening. A skunk ambled across, then cottontails, one after the other. These little rabbits seem to have proliferated. I counted 9 of them in all. A young deer stood stock still as I went by, his ears revolving and tracking me like radar antennas. At a hillside pond, swallows were swooping down to skim the water, picking up insects and leaving ripples on the smooth surface.
Driving home along the coast that night, I spotted the wily coyote that I've seen before, standing by the side of the road. "Let the Juke Joint Jump" by Koko Taylor was playing on the radio. I backed up so the coyote was about 20 feet from my rolled-down window and turned up the volume. He stayed right there—his first experience with the blues. Fittingly, this song is on Koko's album titled Force of Nature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEHrBHSbFa8

0 comments:

Post a Comment