• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

Raised Beds in Garden, 4' x 12', 12" Deep

Rough construction heart redwood. Marco and I built these Wednesday. We attached welded wire mesh (1/2" by 1" openings) to bottom edges of boards, nailed down with 1 by 2's for gophers. Filled up with compost and top soil. Makes me happy just to look at them. They've been in planning stages for a few months.


Evan Kahn said...

I presume that you used 1/2" chicken wire on the bottom?

Anonymous said...

makes me pretty happy to look at them...

we have garden boxes, ours are not as high.

I am thinking ours should be higher

One thing my husband did, was pound in nail truss plates on each join. It has made a big difference (I think) on holding them together.

ours are just planks from the lumber yard, with these plates, they are still holding good after ten years.

Anonymous said...

Where does one find heart redwood these days? Would love to have some...

Lloyd Kahn said...

Most lumber yards in northern California have it. Got these at Goodman's, Mill Valley, Calif. They have a 15% discount on all purchases on Sundays.

Peter Robinson said...

In areas where there is no redwood, rough-sawn heart cedar works well, although expensively. Avoid treated spruce. Unless you get the preserved wood foundation grade, which is absolutely soaked in evil preservative, it does not work well and you will be lucky to get five years out of it before it rots.

Many years ago, I built nice looking planters out of used railroad ties which were heavily impregnated with coal tar creosote, a known carcinogen. Probably a very bad idea, although I'm still here!

Post a Comment