• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

What I'm Doing These Days

Three to four years ago, I did a lot more writing of posts than I do now. These days I'm working on other digital forms of communication (takes time) as well as our old school hold-in-your-hands treasures called books, and in the midst of writing, photographing, editing, and laying out our next major book, Small Homes.

Once in a while I like to slip in a post as of the old days. Can we talk?

It's been raining like mad. Marin county reservoirs are spilling over. Shasta Lake, NorCal's big one, is at 81% now—a welcome relief after all the sad years of bare banks. Went out a few days ago with friends to see cascading waterfalls; power of our magic mountain. Toots: "Love the Rain": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u7YY-jQ0XU

Small Homes, Our Next Book
The book is growing daily. It's a lot like gardening. I am having a lot of back-and-forth emails with builder/contributors, often in search of large enough photo files. (What works on a monitor won't work in high-quality printing.) I'm over half-way through, doing layout with a 5-year-old Brother color copy machine, scissors and scotch tape before they go to Rick for InDesign/Photoshop precision, enhancement, and preparation for our printers in Hong Kong. You can see 17 sneak previews here: http://www.theshelterblog.com/?s=preview

Scotland Shelter Exhibition
There is a festival of architecture in Scotland now, sponsored by the Fife Contemporary Arts Center. It's called "Shelters," and features an entire room exhibiting our work, with photo and page blowups, and our building books on tables (below). It's open now at the Kircaldy Galleries (Kircaldy is about 12 miles north of Edinburgh, on the east coast of Scotland) and runs through June 5, 2016.

I'll be doing a slide show presentation on May 10th, at Kircaldy Galleries, titled "50 Years of Natural Building," chronicling our building books from Shelter in 1973 up to the present.

The Shelter Blog
We have finally increased the amount of original material on our blog (as opposed to mostly references to material already posted elsewhere). Check it out: http://www.theshelterblog.com/. Note: when you go looking for it, you need to type in the "the" to get the correct URL. If you type in "shelterblog," it will go to the wrong place.

Driftwood Shacks: Anonymous Architecture Along the California Coast

My first ever art exhibit; I'm pretty excited to be doing this. On display will be about 24 of my photos, shot on various northern California beaches over the last 15 years. At the Bolinas Museum, opening reception April 2, 2016, 3-5 PM, 38 Wharf Road, Bolinas, Calif

Healing Broken Bones (and Injuries)
(Of interest only to people with injuries.) My broken wrist (skateboarding) is maybe 80% healed (hmm, Shasta 81%, wrist 80%—all to the good!). I explored a lot of modalities, including comfrey (also called "knitbone"), calcium citrate, bone broth, prunes and bananas (yes!), marijuana patches and salves, stretching, and wrist braces. Info on my previous posts (including over 30 comments here: http://lloydkahn-ongoing.blogspot.com/2015/12/did-i-say-i-was-going-to-give-up.html and I'll soon be doing a special post updating the methods for hastening healing. (I did a lot of research.)

45 Years of Publishing
I can't believe it. I'm 80, and have never been busier or more productive in my life—and in an extraordinary profession full of wonderful, intelligent people. I don't even mind all the email and business stuff, but I love shooting photos, doing layout, and especially having the chance to do an exhibit of my photos.


rj said...

Nice update!

Anonymous said...

i'll start at the bottom, work back..grin

you're 80? omg, you don't look a day over 16..(okay, I knew your age but...)..But seriously, when I read your work/view your posts, I KNOW you are younger inside than me (and I am mid fifties).

I am sorry to hear your wrist is only 80 per cent healed...I am interested to hear/read your upcoming post on new info for healing......Since I read your last posts on this, have come across several articles on things which prevent healing, and screw up bone growth/healing/bone density. I will mention them, in case any of interest etc...
- as well as many other meds, any sort of antidepressant will impede healing, especially of bones, and decrease bone density, often actually causing osteoporosis...--- seen quite a few articles lately on this.
-iron...It is not the wonderful thing for most of us in the developed world, we have been led to think..We actually need very little iron each day (unless we get a bleeding injury), and most of us consume far too much. Any extra is stored in and damages brain/liver/heart and.....yes, bones. Apparently, iron requirements for the averagle adult (and less is required each year of age...as it accumulates)...is small..a small amount of meat each day. Sometimes one bowl of cereal will top off / exceed requirements..Add in that iron is added to almost everything purchased, and all food has some iron in it,be extra careful about any supplements or vitamins etc..It stores in/is toxic to much. And, the body has no natural way of ridding excess iron, it is "stored".

I am so happy to hear you are having a photography exhibition. I wish I lived close to where it is at (going to be)...Ah well, guaranteed, if I win the big lottery I will whiz over to view it..Barring that, maybe after the exhibit, you will favor us with images? (I looked on the link, did not see any).

Glad to see your updates today, nice to keep up with what you are up to. All in all, very glad I came to be a regular here, happy to have a chance to read/view your work. Including The Shelter Blog, it is looking good too.

Thank you for your work/your pictures/your efforts/your books. They are all much enjoyed and appreciated.

Anonymous said...

forgot to mention, re bones and healing, have seen quite a few articles lately suggesting Pectin and Gelatin are helpful.

Josh Parker said...

Is the Kirkcaldy date the only talk you are doing while you are here in the uk, or could there be more?

Lloyd Kahn said...

Not sure at this time. There may be another talk, but it will probably be close to Kircaldy or Edinburgh (not London).

Kristin said...

Congrats on the art exhibit! cool! I'm looking forward to the next book - it will be my 4th from you guys. No electronic book format or blog/website could ever replace a good, old-fashioned book that I can hold in my paws & actually turn REAL pages (for me, anyway!).

Anonymous said...

Greetings Lloyd,

I was having breakfast and nearly choked when i read that you're coming to the UK...!

I live near Bristol so it's a 840 miles round trip, but i'm already trying to book a ticket as we speak... No idea how i'm going to go up there or where i'm going to stay but i'll think about it later... Can't wait!

Hopefully see you there in a couple of months, Maestro.


Sierra Carpenter

Post a Comment