• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

$100 Pallet Floor Replaces Ugly Carpet

"We had this weird windowless room with no purpose so we thought to make it a pantry. It needed quite a bit of work to come around to the functional side. Some shelving went in but the floor was a train wreck – awful cheap disgusting carpet.

After that got ripped out, I had to figure out what to put in its place that was sturdy, looked good, and was inexpensive. After visiting a pallet rehabber, the idea was hatched.…"
http://humboldtartdept.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-pantry-floor-is-done-done-done.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I am sorry to say, it looks like a nasty accident waiting to happen...

it is uneven, and lots (and lots) of edges sticking up/out. Even if shoes were always worn, seem very likely that a toe will get caught on edge of boards, and bare feet likely to be full of splinters.

I have seen tons of pallet floors/stairs, and they were always sanded smooth and looked great/safe. This does not to me.

Martin said...

Many, many pallets are chemically treated to prevent rot. This material can be very toxic. Considering that this was used in a pantry, presumably to store food, I hope the boards you used were untreated.

Peter Robinson said...

As this floor is installed in a pantry, there are going to be occasional food and liquid spills that required mopping up, apart from the normal cleaning. I don't see how this can be done without water running down between the pallet pieces, causing wood swelling and rot. I'm sorry but this seems very unhygienic and generally a bad idea.

becky marshall said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I did my research and planned but it's not for everyone, to each their own. But thanks Lloyd for sharing my post! So flattered, I really appreciate it!

Lloyd Kahn said...

1. Most of the pallets I see today are "heat treated" to kill bugs. They are marked with "HT."
2. We have a very active pantry: grain grinding, food processing, sink, etc. and we hardly ever mop the floor. Even when we do mop we do not slop water on the floor that would "cause wood swelling."
3. I like the looks of it.

Peter Robinson said...

I take Lloyd's points and feel bad about being so negative, especially in the light of Becky's gracious reply.

It's just that years of sad experience of doing projects that seemed really neat, then having to rip them out later because I had not fully thought through the implications of what I was doing, have led me to take a very cautious attitude to issues of safety and maintainability. Ignore them and you will be bitten!

Also, of course, anyone who has been involved in building who is the tiniest bit creative, will always look at someone else's work - especially if it is innovative - and think of ways that they would have done it differently. I do hope that Becky's floor works out for her and all of us grumpy old naysayers are wrong.

Post a Comment