• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Window Display, Childrens' Clothing


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is interesting...I am suspecting this may be a "high end" children's display?

these children's clothing look down right 'plain and practical"..

seems there has been a shift from the fussy/hard to wear/hard to wash children's clothing, to , frankly more old fashioned / practical clothing.. And, (do not tell the designer..grin) to children's clothing which looks as if it might have been constructed by Mom or Grandma out of other "old" clothing and flour bags...

Irene Tukuafu said...

very cool comment Anonymous. Being that I had 14 children, I made soooooooooo many cloths....even the 10 years without electric power...I had a wonderful singer treadle machine. I taught the older girls how to sew on that little beauty. And tell the children, "your smile is the most important thing you put on in the morning".

Anonymous said...

Irene,
with 14 children, I so BET you made/made do with that Singer Treadle. When I was a kid (I am mid fifties, so talking fifty yrs back), we lived on a farm, and were poor (although these days my Mom/Dad could charge a mint for an Organic Hand Done Everything B and B, grin).
no electricity/no running water, parents/mom made everything, including butter/bread etc.
and....Mom too had a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine. She bought it as a girl of 16, earning the money to purchase by "working out" helping neighbour wives at harvest etc..

Luckily I inherited it when she died.

I thought you would be interested to know, the receipt for purchase was in the drawer (Canadian dollars).

Sewing Machine $76.60
Sewing Stool $ 9.35

tax 1.72

She used it until elderly, and assured me it still works perfectly, and hoped I would learn to use (unfortunately never did).

Post a Comment