• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

A Bit of What's Going on Here in the 1st Week of 2015

Blogs I'm putting most of my posts on building on TheShelterBlog now. I'm starting to link to those from this blog. TheShelterBlog focusses on building, homesteading, gardening, and the home arts, whereas this blog tracks my eclectic path through life. Note: if you go to the "Categories" button on the right and select a subject, like, say, "Natural Materials," you'll get all the posts on that subject. The info available this way is growing each day. This is getting to be a body of work.

Dwell Magazine I can't help myself from continuing to knock this soulless, sterile publication. Who are the people that live this way? Certainly different from our tribe.

Stretching—The Pocketbook Edition Rick Gordon is about halfway through building a 5" x 8" pocketbook edition of our best-selling book (3-1/2 million copies, 23 languages). Pocketbook editions of Stretching have been very popular in Spain and Germany and we feel it's time to introduce it in English. Out in 2015.

Small Homes Our next building book is under way. Contributors are beginning to send us photos, descriptions. Note: Contact us if you know of (or have built) an imaginative, artistic, practical, and/or economical home in the 400-1200 sq. ft. range: lew@shelterpub.com

Mini-Skeleton I was looking through Cool Tools for Christmas present ideas and one of the items led me to this unique little (9" high) skeleton, available from Amazon. One of the comments from a nursing student said that both the leg bones (tibia and fibula) were switched; same with the arm bones (radius and ulna) This is true, but I was able to switch all 4 of them into the right positions. This is a fine little skeleton, ingeniously produced, for a very low price. BTW, there is a great children's book on anatomy that's selling on Amazon or $.01 these days: The Human Body by Ruth Dowling Brunn and Bertel Braun.

My Life Since I quit competitive running, I've been taking long walks in the woods, looking for mushrooms, wild foods such such as yerba buena tea, cattail pollen, watercress, miners lettuce, etc. Been getting clams, fishing for eels. Picking up oak trees knocked down by storms on the roads for firewood. Skateboarding when I can.
-Yoga started again after a year's absence, it's so good for stiff, banged-up bodies like mine.
-Kauai Going there the last 2 weeks of January, to get in the warm water, do some hiking, shoot photos of small homes.

Comedian David Dean on the radio last week:
“Honk if you love Jesus.
Text and drive if you want to meet him."


craig. said...

Great Lloyd,
Its been a while since I visited, glad to see you are still rockin it on all fronts!
Love the comments on Dwell, never understood that mag.
Just started walking around my town of interior BC. Working on building the endurance base, Long Steady Distances - what's old is new again as I gave up that stuff when I quit bike racing 10 years ago. But I realized all those long hours in the saddle were what made us fit like ferraris... there's no shortcut to that.

Anonymous said...

nice of you to "catch us up". always interesting to hear of your "goings on"...

You get "into" things some of us don't, and it is nice to hear about all.

Øyvind Holmstad said...

Ps! There's no news feed for the Shelter Blog that works for blogger. I have it at my favorite blogs now, but if you don't fix it I'll just move it to my ordinary links list. It will anyway go to the bottom of the blogs list with no news feeds, with a news feeds it goes to the top of the blog list every time you post a new post.

If you don't fix this you'll miss a lot of readers!

Rick Gordon said...

Øyvind, the URL for the newsfeed for The Shelter Blog is http://feeds.feedburner.com/theshelterblog. Feedburner feeds should work on Blogger; Feedburner is a Google company. What widget do you use for your feeds? I'm wondering if there's a conflict.

–Rick Gordon, admin of The Shelter Blog

Øyvind Holmstad said...

Thanks a lot! Now it works and doesn't stay on the bottom of my list all the time. Very happy I didn't have to remove it from my blog list, as it's one of the best blogs on architecture and building. There are really so many depressing blogs about architecture, I really need the Shelter blog to cheer me up. Thanks for your work!

Post a Comment