• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

Publisher Rolls Kayak With iPhone and Sony Cybershot Camera Aboard

I put my iPhone and pocket camera in my backpack , and took my kayak down to the wharf -- going to shoot pix. I looked for a waterproof bag, but didn't have one --  well, I have never tipped over a kayak other than in surf, so no prob. Well prob!
   Lowering myself into it off the wharf, I rolled neatly over. Felt like slow motion -- I can't believe this is happening. So, trashed iPhone and I'm pretty sure the same with the camera. They say it's not as much a problem with the water as it is with the salt. Closed barn door by buying waterproof pouch yesterday.
   I had a really hard time getting out of the water. Couldn't pull myself up onto the wharf, which was pretty high above the water, ended up cutting my knees on barnacles, finally swung Tarzan-like hand-over-hand on the bottom of the gangplank over to the seawall and climbed out. Bleeding legs (but they cleaned up nicely). Upper body strength half what it was 20 years ago. Harumph!
   On Game of Thrones a few nights ago, Maester Aemon says, "Old age is a wonderful source of ironies, if nothing else."


Terrie said...

Sorry about the equipment, happy that you're okay, and continuing to be inspired by you. Mishaps like this are something I need more of in life because it would mean I was pushing myself.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, I can empathize. Definitely can't do the things I could do 20 years ago, or 40 years ago... and barnacles, ouch!

Richard Ieian Jones said...

Have you tried the Isopropy alcohol trick ?
I lost my leatherman yesterday over the side of yacht, never to be seen again ;0(

Anonymous said...

first....dam dam dam.....


have seen several reports,
anything wet like this (camera/phone/etc)
put white rice in bag, put wet equipment in bag. fill with white rice.

reportedly works.

GK said...

Ugh! Glad you are okay!

Anonymous said...

Everyone comments about how bulky my iPhone is but I am on water too much to not have the Lifeproof. Great blog, by the way.

Post a Comment