• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
 

How I Got Into Building


I just ran across this on my Amazon author bio page (here). It answers some questions I've gotten lately about how I got started building.
I started building almost 50 years ago, and have lived in a self-built home ever since. If I'd been able to buy a wonderful old good-feeling house, I might have never started building. But it was always cheaper to build than to buy, and by building myself, I could design what I wanted and use materials I wanted to live with.
   I set off to learn the art of building in 1960. I liked the whole process immensely. Hammering nails, framing—delineating space. The smell in lumber yards. Nailing down the sub-floor, the roof decking. It's a thrill when you first step on the floor you've just created.
   Ideally I'd have worked with a master carpenter long enough to learn the basics, but there was never time. I learned from friends and books and by blundering my way into a process that required a certain amount of competence. My perspective was that of a novice, a homeowner -- rather than a pro. As I learned, I felt that I could tell others how to build, or at least get them started on the path to creating their own homes.
   Through the years I've personally gone from post and beam to geodesic domes to stud frame construction. It's been a constant learning process, and this has led me into investigating many methods of construction -- I'm interested in them all. For five years, the late '60s to early '70s, I built geodesic domes. I got into being a publisher by producing Domebook One in 1970 and Domebook 2 in 1971.
   I then gave up on domes (as homes) and published our namesake Shelter in 1973. We've published books on a variety of subjects over the years, and returned to our roots with Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter in 2004, The Barefoot Architect in 2008, Builders of the Pacific Coast in 2008, Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter in 2012 and now Tiny Homes On the Move: Wheels & Water.
  I often ask architects if they know the definition of architecture: the art and science of building.
   Building is my favorite subject. Even in this day and age, building a house with your own hands can save you a ton of money (I've never had a mortgage) and -- if you follow it through -- you can get what you want in a home.
Pic is when I was building a big timber house at Rancho Rico in Big Sur in 1966. Today's my birthday,  48 years later. Gad!

18 comment s:

Anonymous said...

nice...
and nice of you to share it with us.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lloyd - and hope there are many more! You were cute as a button then and still are!

Kentucky Shark said...

Happy Birthday Lloyd!

gary green said...

happy birthday, now get out there and catch some waves young man!!!!!

onetreewoodworks said...

Happy Birthday.
Keep truckin my friend.
Tohner

mohave rat said...

Have been a fan a long time Mr. Kahn. congrats on another birthday. doing what we love keeps us young!

Susannah Anderson said...

Happy birthday!

I and my kids, with a couple of friends, built our own home from scratch (felling the logs for the uprights) in the late 1970s. 20 years later, we built a cabin for me, now an empty-nester. This time, we used mainly recycled wood from an old barn and a shed.

Times have changed. I'm in standard housing now; sheetrock walls, mass-produced carpets, every apartment identical, automatic heating and hot water . . . I miss the "real thing".

pranaglider said...

Happy Birthday and thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the author of my favourite book... Shelter :)

phil Hill said...

Happy birthday Lloyd...have a great day!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lloyd, and thank you for the constant inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Lloyd, Belated Happy Birthday! I truly hope that it's the best one ever! Keep on Keepin' On!

Peace
Gill

Sam said...

Happy Birthday Lloyd!
Thank you for everything you have done, everything you are doing, and everything you will do!
Teeth to the wind!

Anonymous said...

Many Happy Returns!

bayrider said...

You haven't changed a bit!

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday LLoyd!!!!! Remembering you turned us onto Captain Billy back in the 70's.Such a gift to have met him.We're still getting good information from you and can't wait to see what you do next Keep on blogging and we'll be checking in.Rob and Cindi

charis magenta said...

How amazing you are to build and create your own house. Truly that you are very professional. Belated happy birthday.

Best Home Builders

TT Manchester said...

Warmest regards on your birthday. Thank you so much for your sharing and teaching.

Post a Comment