• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Daily Flash #1 on Foggy Friday -- Twenty Steps From Stardom

Saw Twenty Steps From Stardom yesterday and is it great! I've been disappointed by a number of music documentaries where they had too much talk and too little music. Also by films like Cadillac Records, and Ray, which I guess (the latter) everyone liked but me; I thought both films were phony.
  I've always loved backup singers and this film not only honors these remarkable women, but has a ton of great music. I had no idea of the power and artistry of Darlene Love, Lisa Fischer, Merry Clayton, Tata Vega, and Judith Hill -- among others. The power of gospel backgrounds.
   It's a sparkling documentary --the filmmakers do everything right. The last number, with Darlene Love doing "Lean on Me," is stunning; the backup harmonies gave me chills. It's not playing at many theaters, so I'd try to see it soon.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment