• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
 

Hi-tech Tiny Home

"Named after philosopher Diogenes — who is said to have lived in a barrel because he considered wordly luxuries superfluous—, Renzo Piano's Diogene is a minimalist living unit which functions completely autonomously as a self-contained system and is thus independent of its environment.
   With a surface area of 2,5 x 3 metres when fully assembled and furnished, it can be loaded onto a lorry and transported anywhere. Whereas Diogene’s exterior corresponds to the image of a simple house, it is in truth a highly complex technical structure, equipped with various installations and technical systems that are necessary to guarantee its self-sufficiency and independence from the local infrastructure: Photovoltaic cells and solar modules, a rainwater tank, a biological toilet, natural ventilation, triple glazing.…"
Click here.

9 comment s:

Mr. Sharkey said...

I bet Diogenes' barrel had more character.

Martin said...

Yeah....,well - domus.

Anonymous said...

To me, the first thing I could say about it, is it looks sturdy. I did not read the article thoroughly enough to discover if it is…. Hunted around and found some inside pics, and it has a better “feel” inside than I expected…

As for the article writer’s comment “Renzo Piano's Diogene is a technically perfect and aesthetically attractive refuge”….myself would disagree. Strongly. Agree with “Mr Sharkey --- “I bet Diogenes’ barrel had more character”…

My best impression of this is it “should” be sturdy (that is always a plus with me)…don’t know whether it is.

More Pics
http://www.vitra.com/en-gb/magazine/details/diogene

More Pics and Video – Finished Product (House) Installed (also showing installation)
http://www.designboom.com/architecture/renzo-pianos-micro-home-diogene-installed-on-vitra-campus/


Comments at the bottom of last link have some valid concerns on this project



Justin said...

Apples and oranges.

Anonymous said...

portapotty with a bed - hmmm......

Anonymous said...

Justin...--- apples and oranges????

Justin said...

I was referring to this opinion: "As for the article writer’s comment “Renzo Piano's Diogene is a technically perfect and aesthetically attractive refuge”….myself would disagree. Strongly. Agree with “Mr Sharkey --- “I bet Diogenes’ barrel had more character”…"

Since I'm a big fan of modernist architecture, my opinion is the opposite. Something along similar lines to the Diogenes project: http://www.microcompacthome.com/

I do love natural building, as well, though.


Anonymous said...

Justin...ah...yes, see what you mean. did you have a chance to "look inside"? as mentioned, it does have a different feel...

one thing, have to say, I do like/admire, is how they seem to have ticked all the boxes on essentials (and in such a tiny space)...toilet/shower/cooking/sleeping/desk/nice window to look out at desk....

i had a vision that a flip down bet from the space overhead could provide extra sleeping/main sleeping.

Justin said...

I just love these pithy little spams, don't you?

Post a Comment