• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
 

Fox and Weasel Skins

Skinning roadkill animals is such a win-winner. Rather than left to rot, the skins can be rendered like this. I skin the animal, tack it down (pushpins) while stretching it, fur side down, on piece of plywood. Then I cover it with salt so no skin is visible. In about a week I remove the salt, roll it up, and ship it to Bucks County Fur Products in Quakertown, PA. In about 6 weeks, UPS delivers a beautiful tanned skin. Ooops! Haven't I said all this before?
   Shown are 2 weasels, and a fox with a thick glossy coat; fur seems best in the cold season, when their coats are maxed out. I need another fox or two and then my friend Louie and I are going to make me a fur coat. Fur inside. Roadkill coat. I like that.

5 comment s:

Alderrr said...

Have you ever eaten the meat? A few years ago I wrote an article about eating roadkill raccoon (spoiler: it was delicious).

You can read the article here: http://thetyee.ca/Life/2007/12/25/Roadkill/

Brad Kik said...

Those are beautiful, and it's a great idea to harvest roadkill. I'm concerned about the pollution caused by chemical tanning, though. Is Bucks County Fur Products somehow better in that regard? I'd love to find a place to send deer hides and other animal skins.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Say hello to Louie for me!
Stefan

Jess Mink said...

If you want to go a step further check out deerskins into buckskins (http://www.amazon.com/Deerskins-Into-Buckskins-Materials-Gatherers/dp/0965867242). It's a great book on tanning with emulsified fat and smoke. It focuses on fur off tanning, but if I recall correctly it's got a bit about fur on as well.

All the home tanners I know swear by it.

Dennis said...

I second what Jess Mink said! Here's a great how to article: http://braintan.com/articles/furs/george1.html

Post a Comment