• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead


"Volusia County, Florida, circa 1903. 'Sailing bicycles on the beach at Ormond.' 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company."
From Godfrey Stephens


Tim Joe Comstock said...

Pretty wild! I was just there on my morning ride. Those bikes give the expression "jibe ho!" a new and exciting meaning. But it looks like fun nonetheless.


Martin said...

A few years back I saw a guy on a recumbent trike with a sail rolling north on Hwy.101 up here in Oregon. The bike was loaded for travel, but he was doing 20mph+ - uphill!

Kay L. Davies said...

This is a fabulous photo, Lloyd. 1903 — my grandmother was a baby then. I love it!

Klaas said...

That reminds me of my two kids and myself "bike sailing" 5 years ago.
I used my cargo bike. My girls were sitting in the bike and both where holding an umbrella to propel us. Lots of fun!
I will try to send a short (low quality) video of this to you.

You can buy a sailing recumbent that is street legal (in the Netherlands, that is). It is called a whike.

Regards, Klaas.

Anonymous said...

and, how abou this...

Don’t know anything about these, but seems like an idea which might become popular


some cool models


a quick look at google images is pretty impressive

Post a Comment