• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
 

The Day After Lots of Rain

Blogging is perfect for me, what with my compulsion to blab about everything I encounter in my world. It takes maybe a year for me (with substantial help) to get each book together, but here I can get things out daily. Actually I'm a frustrated newspaperman. I love the immediacy of newspapers, but  could never take the pressure; nor could I write well and quickly enough to work for a grownup daily paper. I don't tweet these days, and just can't join the FaceBook conglomerate. Blogging's enough. Finding the time to do it, along with getting books out in today's turbulent publishing seas, is a challenge.
Winter Solstice I felt something Friday, like a wakeup call. To get it a lot more together and quit moping because of an injured shoulder. I have so many friends with debilitating body parts, that I'm like a wimp. One body part goes wrong and I get depressed. OK, days are getting longer. I actually felt the first wave of Spring the other day, the new grass growing as the hills turn green, the call of a red-wing blackbird (lodged in my all-time memory from teenage years prowling my dad's rice farm in Colusa (Calif.). Come on, April!
(Above pic, Amanita Muscaria, bursting out of pine needles everywhere right now…
iPhone I don't use 1% of what you can do with it, BUT:
1. I go into my mail program, hit the "new message" icon, then click on microphone icon at lower left on keyboard. Then I talk (via Jabra BlueTooth speakerphone) and it gets typed into the message. Send message to myself. I mean, I haven't  started doing this a lot, but it's pretty amazing to be able to.
2. I downloaded the new Google Maps app (free). I open Siri, say "Give me directions to ______, via transit." (The "via transit" is the key here.) Then I hear, "Go 400 yards to Shattuck and turn right, etc...." along with a map.
3. The camera:
-the HDR function. I don't know any way to shoot HDR in one shot on my more serious cameras. This really works when there's a lot of contrast (like looking out windows from a lowly-lit room).
-The panorama mode is unique.
Fun!
Google Jesus, do I use it! I never dreamed of having such info and knowledge available so quickly. I use Google so much it's embarrassing.
Music Right Now
Billy Joe Shaver doing I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal, followed by John Anderson doing Seminole Wind, very nice DJ'g sequence on Sirius' Outlaw Blues. Billy Joe's a great song writer.
This one had me dancing: Wreck and Ruin, by Kasey Chambers, Shayne Nicholson.
And now: One Mint Julep, by The Clovers.
Solo Time I write my best (and do my best layout) when I'm in studio/office all alone. But solo moments are rare, what with all that goes on around here. Enhancements: espresso (I try for crema, but it's tricky); Power Plant sativa; Sirius music (set stations: BB King Blues, Outlaw Blues, Blugrass, Joint (reggae), '50s), as well as Grooveshark. I know I've said all this before.




4 comment s:

c w swanson said...

The critical wisdom here: blogging is enough. Truly, the various and multiple means of communication in the modern world are enough to drive a man to insanity. Pick one or two and focus on those, and do them well.

bayrider said...

My wife and are newspaper people, almost 60 years between us at the Chronicle and Examiner. I always loved newspapers but those paper's days are over. I know I said this before but I get more useful and uplifting ideas from blogs than I ever did from the mainstream media.

Actually Lloyd, you are kind of like Herb Cain, a friend that we look forward to reading daily. Except you are more relevant and interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hope you keep it up checkin your blog kicks my mood up a knotch daily
Thanks for the inspiration

Ryan

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment