• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
 

Tiny (300 Sq. Ft.) Mandala Home in Canada

"Franklin Residence - "Quietude" - A Mandala - Built in 1999
The Program: To design and build a furnished residence for a single person within a severely limited budget of $28,000 Cdn. complete, that at the same time had the spirit to exalt the human soul.
   This was accomplished by analyzing the home functions and distilling these to the essentials in philosophy and fact with sustainable and healthy architecture…
   Even with such an extreme budget as this, it is possible to build an environmentally sound home that enhances the Joy, Life and Soul of humans.
   A quote from the Architect's recent book states "We are building sacred places, as distinct from profane places, to add layers of experience and importance to life patterns.…"
   The architect is Henry Yorke Mann, in British Columbia, Canada.

8 comment s:

Anonymous said...

More info and photos:

http://www.henryyorkemann.com/project/quietude

jparkes said...

Wonderful design, these homes look to last generations very happily. Homes that are oversized always seem lifeless and cold, smaller warmer homes are a much better way to live.

Sara said...

Does anyone know, roughly, where this house is in Canada? I'm not looking for a location, but enough information to know what kind of weather conditions and civic regulations might apply.

Lloyd Kahn said...

Sara, I neglected to add the architect and location -- now added above. Thanks for noticing this.

reppas said...

"Quietude" is near Oliver, British Columbia. This is in the central Okanagan region of BC. The climate is very dry (around 10 inches of rain a year) with summer highs of around 90F and winter lows of around 20F. Basically, it is a desert.

A copy of this house was also built in Powell River, BC where the climate is wet, mild coastal, with around 45 inches of rain a year and temperatures that seldom go below freezing. Think Seattle. It remains to be seen how a design that works well in a desert can handle a coastal rainforest.

Marina said...

Hi! I´m brazilian and i live in a 330 sq foot house and will be moving to a 308 sq foot in january. I´m not an enthusiat of what some american an european people call "tiny houses" but that´s only because here in Brazil it is really normal and natural to live in 300 foot! Lol!!! I´m not poor or anything like that; I´m a 28yo pshicologist and I could buy a bigger and more expensive house. My partner is 45 and has an excellent income as well but it didnt even cross our minds to buy a house bigger than ours. If you come to Brazil you´ll see small apartments and houses but their owners wouldnt understand why you´de be so amazed. When I spend some time in the US in my teenage years i couldnt get used to the HUGE houses and the incredible amount of STUFF most people owned! It was incredibly overwhelming and i would feel depressed when staying at some friends houses for small weekend visits.

I still get really surprised whenever i read about the so-called "tiny houses" in american and european blogs! It´s almost as if i lived in a really small place, bur to me it´s so big! One or two years ago i would call myself a cluttered person so i started decluttering and reading about decluttering only to find out that brazilian blogs about decluttering are completely diferent from the american and european! If a cluttered american saw my place at that point they would probably get the ideia that i didint have much stuff, but a brazilian person would think diferently. I tried to explain that to foreigners but most of them dont believe im not poor or they think Brazil must be a really poor country if we think it´s ok to live in 300sq foot houses! Thats so shocking!

My e-mail is umanosemcompras@yahoo.com.br and you can write me if you can. Sorry for the REALLY rusty english and please dont take my comments as a bad criticism; its only my opinio, ok?

Marina said...

Oh... and we have 5 big dogs and want to have a baby pretty soon!

CDB said...

I'm from the U.S., however I'm not typical in any sense. I don't need much stuff or space. I've ALWAYS been a minimalist and have found it overwhelming to even think of living in a huge house with so much wasted space. The space and things in my environment need to serve a purpose and to be used. I love the small/ tiny house movement here in the states and find that it is an overdue notion. Thanks for the post! This house is charming:)

Post a Comment