• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
 

Blues, Nomadics, TV, Politics, Reggae on A Sunday Afternoon

Boy have I been in a funk. Partly due to a banged-up shoulder, partly the hot dry weird windy weather, partly lack of exercise, partly too much time on road. Takes me days to catch up upon return. I'm stayin  home a whiles.
  Weather shifted dramatically this morning. Way cooler, clouds in sky, feeling of vibrancy about. Along with 2 tiny cups of crema Malabar Gold monsoon espresso, and a great blues selection by Bill Wax on Sirius radio's blues station, things are lookin up. For ex., "Ax Sweet Mama," by James Luther Dickinson.
Tiny Homes on the Move: Wheels & Water is rolling (and floating), about 40 pages laid out. Each book we do is like setting sail for an unknown destination. Here we're out in the ocean, wind in sails, charting course as we go. Exciting!
Google Do I love it! I can find just about anything. For example, at times I'll get a Goole Alert to an article I'm interested in; if the link doesn't go anywhere, I can type in a sentence quoted in the article, and bingo!
TV of Late
Treme Great episode last week, lots of good music (by previously obscure authentic New Orleans musicians), wonderful scene between La Donna and the Chief (who was Lester in The Wire), exquisite acting (and communication and humor) between two powerful people.
Boardwalk Empire I'm back into it. Gave up on it last season, but it's now in a really good mode. Nucky more human; costumes, era (prohibition—1920s-30s) impeccably portrayed.
Bill Maher The closer the election gets, the more relevant Bill is. Last night the most contentious panel ever, but with great appearances by Gary Hirshberg of Storyfield Farm with totally convincing reasons to vote yes on requiring GMO labeling, and Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone telling politics like it is.
http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/real-time-with-bill-maher-blog/2012/10/18/guest-list-october-19-2012.html


The Debates As I've said, I dodge doing political posts. Mainly because I don't have time to get into discussions or arguments. But sometimes it just spills over. A young surfer guy I met on the beach at Malibu (who says he reads this blog daily), said to me, "You've got some neo-con readers." True, I may be on the same page with respect to hunting and fishing and/or the natural world as some people who're also Tea Partyers. Go figure.
  I thought Biden killed it. Ryan looked a bit like a deer in headlights. I would have mugged and laughed too, at the lies and distortions and evasions he had to listen to. Plus "And now you're Jack Kennedy…" zing! Romney, I can't stand to watch him. A hollow man. Not in his skin (as was his father). I wanted Obama to come out in the 2nd one like Destry, and he pretty much did. Strap on those 6-shooters! In spite of all I've read, I thought O was way (not just a little bit) better. And will be way better for the world.
  It's now 2:30 PM and Sugar Minott is singing "Slice of the Cake." What timing, along with the immediately above. I'm dancing around the office (no one to see me) and playing my box bass along with the song. Such a great simple bass line here.

3 comments:

Scott Garrett said...

LLoyd, i'm glad you've settled in and glad you're back. You just 'get it' and that's what people give a shit about.. and why i follow your blog/read your books. isn't everything political in some way these days?... but i'm glad i agree with you! that guy, Romney, just...'unsettles' me. Leading the country? really??...I'm outta here!

Mr. Homegrown said...

Home that shoulder heals up fast! Always enjoy this blog.

albaartstudio said...

Hello there, greetings from the Highlands of Scotland - I have been meaning to write for the longest time - As an owner of a W.Cooper iron building and an original battered copy of An Illustrated Catalogue Of Goods Manufactured And Supplied By W.Cooper I was deelighted to find a 'kindred spirit' who appreciates these simple, beautiful, functional structures. (AND the amazing printed catalogues....)
We also once built and lived in a turf roofed dome, and spent 18 months living in a yurt...but that is another story!
We now live in an old croft house (much more practical...) in the far north of Scotland (Nedd((yes Nedd!))in Assynt)and run an open art studio from a gypsy caravan. There are some interesting buildings in the Highlands....Please call in to see us if you ever find yourself in this remote corner of the world, we'd be happy to show you guys around! Many thanks for your books, your inspiration, and for being a totaly decent bloke! kinderst reagards, Sara Garnett. www.albaartstudio.wordpress.com.

Post a Comment