• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Mother Earth News Fair A Winner

The Mother Earth News Fair in Puyallup was outstanding. To tell you the truth, I was a bit leery. The Green Festival, which I've attended over the last 5 years, has seemed increasingly weak. Sorry to say so, but true, and I feared the same might be true here in Puyallup, Washington. But Cheryl Long, Mother Earth News editor-in-chief and my buddy, talked me into coming, and am I glad she did. If  I'd known how good it woud be, I'd have hung around for the 2nd day, instead of flying to NYC Sunday.
   There were animals: chickens, goats sheep, pygmy pigs, small-scale cattle, alpacas. A great selection of electric vehicles. There were all kinds of things that interested me in contrast to the same-old, same-old Green Festival stuff. Demos of shake-splitting and log-squaring-off, a completely different type of composting toilet, soapstone woodstoves, roofing materials, a beautiful copper still made in Portugal, a complete building dedicated to fiber arts, an array of solar devices, the Emmrod compact fishing rods
   A guy had a tattered copy of an early printing of Shelter and opened to the last page, where there's a picture of a hobo/buddha Jack and I ran into in the Nevada desert in 1972, and said, "I think about him every day."
   I had several hundred people at my presentation, and it was a sympatico crowd. They were with me. Plus, Mother Earth announced they were giving me a lifetime achievement award. Ulp! It went well and afterwards I signed books for about an hour. A nice looking couple, surfers, came up and told me they read my blog daily, and said, "We came from Hawaii to hear you talk." Wow.

4 comments:

El Gaucho said...

Congratulations on your lifetime achievement award. I look forward to reading about it in my next edition of Mother Earth News.

Anonymous said...

HEY THERE LLOYD. READ YOUR BLOG EVERLY DAY. YOU ARE MY HERO!!ANYHOO YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT BUYING A BOAT. I HAVE ONE FOR SALE. ITS 2005 GERGOR 17.6 BAJA IT HAS A 40HP HONDA WITH LESS THAN 80 HOURS ON IT.YOU CAN GO TO GERGOR BOAT WEB SITE TO LOOK AT PICTURES.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. PLEACE GARY GREEN PS HERE MY EMAIL RAILROADGREEN53@VERIZON.NET

Martin said...

I'd be interested in reading more about that "...completely different type of composting toilet..." - might there be a link?

Martin

Lloyd Kahn said...

http://www.natureshead.net/
It's different in that it's so small. Originally meant for boats.

Post a Comment