• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

Canoe Trip in Boundary Waters

Yesterday Peter Henrikson, the timber framing master at the North House Folk School, took me out in a (40 lb. Kevlar) canoe into this water wonderland. I'd heard about it, but it sort of defies description. Now I know why they stay Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. We were out for about 6 hours, going from lake to lake, (Peter) portaging twice. We saw 5 bald eagles, two loons, beaver lodges galore, it was a great day. We had lunch sitting on a big rock. The silence is intense; not even airplanes flying over. We got sweaty after hiking a mile and jumped in a lake (momentarily). Bill, the outfitter, told us to check out a rock that looked like it could a dolmen, and here's Peter checking out its underside. Glacier, or primitive humans?
  I am having lot of fun! I did my seminar on the small homestead today and am the, ahem, featured
 speaker of this 3-day conference on sustainability. I'm doing my Tiny Homes slide show and answering questions tomorrow night at 7:30 (brick oven pizza being served). I got interviewed on the local radio station today and it sounds like a local web TV outfit is going to film it tomorrow night.


Anonymous said...

ainchew dew no fishin dere?

Stephanie said...

Your life is so freakin' awesome, Lloyd!

David said...

Up here is "God's country" for sure.

Post a Comment