• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

Tiny Homes News

Author "Tour" With City Lights last week, I've done 6 bookstore appearances and now I have 2 weeks before taking off for Canada, where I'll be in Vancouver April 19, Hornby Island 4/22, Denman Island 4/23, and Victoria 4/25.
   I've got a busy May-early June schedule: The North House Folk School for the 1st week of May; the mighty Maker Fair in San Mateo, Calif. May 19-20; the Mother Earth News Fair in Puyallup, Washington on June 2; then directly to NY for the 2102 BookExpo America, and an appearance at the v. cool Spoonbill and Sugartown bookstore in Brooklyn on June 6th, then back to SFO on June 11th. Whooh! I know it's not as dense a schedule as most on-the-road authors have, but I'll be glad when it's over. It's fun and rewarding to be at these places, but it's the getting there and back…

   "Bug" Deakin of Heritage Salvage in Petaluma told me that Tom Waits, who comes in to his yard from time to time, told him that he'd just got back from a tour. He said that making the record and then the necessary subsequent tour was like "You prepare a wonderful meal… and then you've got to do the dishes."
  2nd Printing 12,500 books arrived at the warehouse in Tennessee Monday. There are about 6000 back orders that are shipping as I type. That's over 20,000 copies sold in 3 months.
  Feedback Every day we're getting emails, phone calls, people telling us how much they love the book. It's the same feeling I got when we published Shelter in 1973. We stumbled into a movement. Not a movement of necessarily building and/or living in a tiny home, but a change in consciousness about shelter. Moving in the direction of smaller and simpler. I know, I've said all this before…
   Next Up When I get back in June I plan to get our next book rolling: Wheels & Water: Tiny Homes On The Move. Housetrucks, buses, campers, trailers, bikes + sailboats, other types of live-aboard boats, and houseboats. Nomadic living in the 21st century. We are soliciting input. Send pics; lo-res OK at first.


Anonymous said...

Where is your bookstore appearance in Vancouver?
I live in North Van and don't want to miss it.

Lloyd Kahn said...

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - Vancouver
7pm event at Emily Carr University of Art + Design, South Bldg, Rm 301
1400 Johnston Street, Granville Island

Anonymous said...

Same question for Victoria Lloyd. I teach part of a small building technology course here in Victoria and I want to let the students know where and when. Many thanks!

Powell River Books said...

Where will you be in Vancouver? I would love to come and hear you speak and meet you in person. - Margy

Anonymous said...

Excited to hear you are coming to Victoria! I also would be interested to find out where you will be so I can come say hello. My girlfriend (daughter of Paul Smulders from the Mia) and I were just talking about the new book last night over dinner on Paul and Julie's new boat the "Laughing Gull". They are anchored up just outside Vic, and I'm sure would love to come say hi as well. I will pass on the news.

Lloyd Kahn said...

Victoria Slide show/book signing: Thursday April 25, 7 PM, University of Victoria, David Lam Auditorium in the MacLaurin Building

Post a Comment