• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead

Barefoot Running/Groovin' Up Slowly

Last night I took off to meet my running buddies at Muir Beach. It was drizzling lightly as I drove along the coast. The Beatles were doing "Come Together" on Sirius radio, what a song! It's great to hear music many years later, with a different perspective.

"Here come old flat top
He come groovin' up slowly
He got joo joo eyeballs
He one holy rollers
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker
He just do what he please…"

Ay, we miss you, John!

I got dressed in Maxit gear and ran down the valley, then up the Heather trail switchbacks (solo). I've started wearing my new (and just developed) New Balance Minimus trail shoes, about which New Balance says: "Radically simple. Simply Radical. A light and right approach to the minimalist running experience." Well, that's pretty much true. These are way different shoes. There's little cushion, but they give you the barefoot running experience. I never liked those 5-toed shoes, but these feel wonderful. You step lightly.
   Without the need to train for racing, I've been running entirely differently, feeling the trail with my feet, walking a bit, no need for anaerobic pain — hey, this is fun! I visualize how bobcats run, with the flex in their legs. Sometimes I imagine I'm a Miwok, running the trails barefoot, as they would have done. Soft steps, quiet, moving smoothly, hunting deer, or maybe cruising over the mountain trails from the coast to visit Mill Valley tribes. You just know there were Miwok runners.
  Halfway through the run, I got warm enough to take off my shirt and run in the light rain, feeling mighty fine.

1 comment :

Adam Smith said...

I read many years ago, that that song was written originally for Tim Leary's campaign for governor when he was running against ronald reagan. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I like to imagine an alternative reality where Leary wins, Reagan never becomes president, and in 1980 under president Leary, John Lennon calmly leaves his building unharmed...

Post a Comment