• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Attention Deficit Not Necessarily a Disorder

If  I was a kid (kindergarten and up), growing up in these Enlightened Times, I would have been diagnosed as having ADD, Ritalin prescribed. (Of course my mom, being a Christian Scientist, would have never allowed any medication.) I read about the prevalence these days of drugging children and can't help but think that many of them may just have a lot of energy that doesn't fit conveniently into a classroom situation.
 Whether "attention deficit" is a disorder or not depends upon just what it is you are supposed to be paying attention to. Teachers who are b-o-r-i-n-g? Political speeches? Too-long movies or performances or lectures?
 It shouldn't routinely be called a "disorder." It could be due to high spirits, an inquiring mind, an interest in the world in general. I wish parents would resist concluding there's something automatically wrong with lack of attention, and chemical"solutions" to same.

15 comments:

Martin said...

Some years back, someone (I forget who) said, "Maybe they should give the Ritalin to the teachers in order to bring them up to speed with the kids.", referencing the factoid that Ritalin affects adults in ways opposite to the way it affects children.

pranaglider said...

It seems that if you don't fit into the mold you are sedated and cast aside. Kind of like a piece of fruit or vegetable that doesn't fit the guidelines.
Sad.

Owl said...

One of the things that has been encouraging at the moment are the raised profile of the forest schools. Taking kids out and about, getting hands on with nature, building things etc. It really seems to suit a lot of kids and possibly be more rewarding for the inquisitive minds rather than a standard classroom. I have just been on one of my wanders and found new bushcraft shelters built in the local woods, I would guess they have been built by the village kids under supervision. The thought of drugs to try and find a "solution" makes me shudder and I really hope that sort of thing is a last resort.

Justin said...

I'm convinced that in a lot of these "cases" the culprit is the typical American Diet.........

Justin said...

Add to that the fact that kids these days don't get enough exercise.....

Skeeter said...

Schools are not for the benefit of the children, it is for the adults to keep them out of the way until they are 'useful' to society.

Maybe that is why society/culture is so messed up. We act like childhood is a condition that you have to wait for the end of. That is like saying butterflies have a 'condition' of being a caterpillar. Let them be caterpillars when they are caterpillars. Let them be butterflies when they are ready to fly.

Our current culture is not very good at letting children be children.

louise said...

frightening that these young souls are being made "socially acceptable" with very strong substances. long term it appears - what happens then?

Staroid said...

You would be shocked at the pervasiveness of school-administered drugs. Each day at lunchtime, the kids are forced to line up for their "meds", and each one is given his/her prescribed doses of whatever.
Like good little inmates of the cuccoo's nest.

yarapa said...

There is also the fact that boy brains and girl brains develop in different ways and different times. Education however is a one size fits all affair and thats grossly unfair. I agree with Lloyd, if I were a school kid now they'd either shoot me full of drugs or declare me too damaged to me in a mainstream school. Poor Kids!

jandean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jandean said...

Waldorf children are allowed to be themselves.

Brad said...

http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com/2012/03/foot-stools.html

Lloyd - this link is very appropos although you won't see why until you watch the vid. This craftsman is incredible and he talks about the focus it takes to do his work. I think often we have to condition ourselves to allow that focus/single mindedness to take place. It used to be the norm, but these days it's easy to mentally flit between things every few seconds. Love this guy!

Thanks for your blog. I enjoy it every day.

Brad

ADHD Positive said...

And I say, attention deficit IS NOT a disorder, nor a disability.

-amy said...

Wouldn't it be amazing to find out what we're all capable of instead of trying to figure out how we're broken?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks "ADHD" is a fraud we've perpetuated on ourselves. How is it valuable to mute a child who is reacting against an unnatural and ineffective learning environment? I've been so married to the idea that my kids need to have time away from me (they do) and time spent with friends in a setting where they have shared experiences (school), that I have been teaching them how to manipulate their teachers and distract teachers when they zero in on the kid who needs the most love. Probably not the best use of my time. I still think that public school can give a child a good education; but if I could, would I be strong enough to give my kids the best that I can give them?

If you make me think, I'll have to act - no fair Mr. Kahn.

Anonymous said...

ADHD may be just another name for a point on the spectrum of normal behavior, but as the parent of a boy with this diagnosis (who tried medication and eventually decided against it), I would like to clear up a couple of misguided points made by respondents. First, Ritalin and the like are not sedatives; they are stimulants used to stimulate the part of the brain needed to focus on boring tasks. Second, school nurses may administer medications to students, but schools do not prescribe or provide medications. The family doctor prescribes the meds, and the family sends them to the school nurse because children are not allowed to self-medicate in school, and that includes over-the-counter medications such as aspirin or Midol.

Post a Comment