• Subscribe to
    Lloyd’s Blog via RSS.
Tumblr
  • Check out TheShelterBlog.com
  • Tools for the
    Half-Acre Homestead
 

Huge Homes: Grotesque Shelter

"Shooting ranges, an indoor tennis court, a bedroom bigger than many houses: For a small cadre of very wealthy owners, building big is back. A bird's-eye view of some of the mega mansions going up across the country.…"
From last week's Wall Street Journal
http://shltr.net/bignhideous

16 comments:

Diane said...

It has as much style and charm as your average office complex. What an ugly and disgusting waste of land, materials and energy.

Michael J. said...

At first glance, I thought it was a deluxe Jiffy Lube.

Anonymous said...

It is shaped like a battleship.

Kay L. Davies said...

Conspicuous consumption squared.
K

Michael Janzen said...

Looks like a fortress. I guess we know where to find one billionaire after the zombie apocalypse ;-)

ember light walker said...

foul doesn't even begin to describe it. however i did spot an attempt at being green. any one catch the solar panels? lol trying to erase their gigantic carbon foot print?

Anonymous said...

This is how the 1% live.I wonder how low property taxes he pays.Bomb it.

Anonymous said...

Let me live in it for 5 years, then I'll pass judgement.

Island Woman MJ said...

Ah well, at least he kept a lot of people employed building it, and the staff must be huge to maintain it. If you've ever stayed at a Hyatt hotel, he thanks you.

Trailer Park Cyclist said...

I feel sorry for him. He will never know the secrets of simplicity.

Larry Henry said...

That house is obscene...

Anonymous said...

Must be very lonely in that big catastrophe ... even lonelier in his/her soul ... Trailer Park Cyclist said it best

Jon Barber said...

This place reminds me of a great burial crypt from the past. Only if it were abandoned, falling in on it's self, crumbling around the edges, would the effect be more real

daltxguy said...

I was going to put in an indoor tennis court too into my next house but then I said, "nah" and settled for a 9"x12" timber frame which I am milling and cutting myself. I wonder if he's got a woodshop in there?

Anonymous said...

I just visited Mr. Pritzker and it's actually a cozy, warm home...feels more like 20,000 sq feet instead of 50

Anonymous said...

Oh my God that is a beautiful house!
Oh you don't know who's much I would love to live in it.
But like Diane said a waste of energy and land space...

Other than that it's beautiful. Ever been in it Lloyd?

Post a Comment